Friday, 1 January 2010

Here Comes 2010!


I like my comforts.

I love my cottage with its garden and its view of the mountains. I love my fire and I positively adore my central heating. I like nice food, nice clothes and nice shoes, my computer, my digital camera and my iPod. I haven’t yet succumbed to a Wii, but I’m quite sure I’ll love that, too, when I get around to it.


Emily, my faithful little campervan, is one of the best things ever to happen to me. Which means I also love my 1.6 diesel engine and have no intentions of going small and/or electric any time soon. And I do like jetting off to the sun, every now and again.

I like my comforts, but I don’t like the thought that they might be costing the earth. Okay, and I’ve worked my socks off over the years – and cleaned other people’s floors when necessary – to keep my house, and I work hard now. But I don’t like the thought that it might be a famer in India or a family in Africa who are really paying the price. I was always Robin Hood in my childhood fantasies, not the posh one in the corner yelling: ‘let them eat cake!’

Right; so I want to go green, but I want to keep my comfortable life. I’d always vaguely assumed the two were just not compatible, and that’s where I stopped dead in my tracks. And then I was introduced to the charity ‘The Big Green Idea’, who seemed to think it was perfectly possible, and had plenty of hints and tips to help me along my way.
Which means, really, I’ve no excuse.

So for 2010, my new year’s resolution is to go green quietly, in civilised and comfortable mannner. I will not decamp to a yurt or keep pigs in the garden. Hens, maybe: so long as I can keep their feet out of the geraniums and their beaks off the roses. But no pigs. Well, to be perfectly honest, having been a vegetarian for most of my life I wouldn’t exactly know what to do with them.

I will grow herbs and some fruit and veg, but my roses and my Australian bottle-bush are staying put. I haven’t nursed them through Welsh mountain winters just to dig them up now. And, besides, they’re pretty. I like looking at them. They make my garden a joy in summer and a great place for parties.

But this is the middle of winter. And this is my garden.

Gardening? I don’t think so.

In true comfort-lover’s style, I shall, for the moment, start inside. In the warm. With a nice cup of real coffee. (er - not fair trade. Oops! Next time) I shall plan my garden for when the snow finally melts, and I will start my first changes with food. Nice food. Delicious food. This year, I am determined not to do the usual January that-was-one-chocolate-truffle-too-many diet, so that my jeans stop being just that bit too tight. Instead, I’m going concentrate on buying local, avoiding supermarkets and making what I can from scratch (so long as it’s quick, easy and fun).

Instead of giving up on food, my new year’s resolution is to take up the tastiest, healthiest, most varied and exciting meals possible, for a little as possible and as ethically as possible.

This month, our rubbish is going to start being collected fortnightly. So what better time to ditch the plastic? The non-bottle plastic that no one seems to know how to recycle.

Right, so for me, that’s mostly hummus (I’m veggie, I eat mountains of the stuff. It’s the only way I can keep death-by-cheddar at bay) and yoghurt. I’ve made hummus before, so I just need to track down some chick peas and sesame seed paste. The yoghurt I need to think about. My mum used to make it in the 1960s and 70s, with dried milk in an electric thing with its own little pots. It tasted vile. So I need to find the yummiest, scrummiest, cheapest and simplest way of making yoghurt, or I’ll be back on the Greek-style before the month is out.

Time for that coffee and an hour or so in the company of Google, I believe.....



6 comments:

  1. Hi there - Brigit sent me over in your direction! Good luck with your venture; I look forward to reading how you get on over the next few week and months.

    I don't do it myself, but am sure that it is possible to make good yoghurt. I even remember my mum doing so when I was a child - and I remember eating it so it must have been good! I'm sure someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your quest, it is encouraging to read about your plans, and page is now bookmarked. I am also going to send my mum a link to the blog as she is probably very similar to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely comments! I'm feeling really encouraged to make this work!

    Apologies, I'm new to this so I've been trying to work out if it's the done thing for me to post a comment on my own blog. I still haven't worked it out, but I'm doing it anyhow!:)

    Thanks, Mrs C! I've just got some live yogurt to start experimenting. I'll let you know what happens...

    Hi Steven! Thanks, too. And I'd love your mum to read my blog. The comfort-loving ladies of this world should stick together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    Found your blog through a link posted on the Green Living Forum, I will definitely be following with interest - I too like my comforts but want to live as green as possible (untill I can afford to build that cabin in the woods when I'll become a pioneer!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there!

    I thought you might like to know how I make yogurt.

    If you use UHT milk you don't need to scald it first...and UHT milk will keep for ages in a store cupboard so it is always on hand.

    Yogurt can be made very easily on a small scale with very simple kitchen equipment. It is important to be very clean though!

    You will need:
    One pint of Sterilised or UHT Milk.
    a saucepan or a glass jug if using a microwave.
    a thermometer (optional).
    2 Tablespoons of live Yogurt.
    a thermos flask.
    a jug and maybe a basin


    Method:
    Heat the milk until it reaches blood temperature ( 37° C /98.4° F )either on a stove or in the microwave.
    In a jug blend in the 2 tablespoons of yogurt with a little of the warm milk, when a
    smooth mixture is obtained, pour into the rest of the warm milk and stir.
    If using a microwave I just add the yogurt a little at a time into the jug of warm milk.
    Pour the milk/yogurt mixture into a pre warmed wide necked thermos flask, seal and leave for 7 hours ( I have left it overnight before now)

    Pour the Yogurt into the basin or into smaller containers with lids cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow the
    yogurt to thicken further.

    Yogurt made this way can be kept in a refrigerator for 4 or 5 days.

    If wished add pureed fruit or other flavourings to portions before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Compostwoman!

    That sounds like a really easy method. (For some of them it feels you need to be a chemist) I've fished out my wide necked thermos, and I'll definitely be trying that.

    I'll let you know what happens ....

    ReplyDelete