Monday, 22 November 2010

Autumn Plenty


Oops, that’s a long time I’ve been away from this blog!

I know life - as it does - took over for a while, but I never thought it was that long. But I have managed to keep up with some of the things I meant to do this autumn. The sloes are in the sloe gin all ready for Christmas. The smell (well you do have to check these things now and again) is tantalizing. I tried to be more sophisticated this year and add less sugar. That didn’t last long. The sugar sort of crept in of its own accord and is now brewing nicely in the spare room/office/preserve cupboard/general junk container. The colour is already gorgeous and the smell is tantalizing. Roll on Christmas!

I’ve also managed to make jams and chutneys. It’s hard growing fruit this high, but a friend in the valley had a glut of plums, and another was given loads of apples. So I’ve made plum jam, plum jam with cardamom (yum, yum) and spiced plum chutney which was supposed to be for presents but is far too tasty and going down fast. I found this recipe while browsing. Highly recommended! http://cooking4chumps.com/Chutney%20Plum%20Recipe.html

The apple chutney ain’t bad, either. I was going to be adventurous and try grape chutney from a friend’s greenhouse, but the grapes died before I got there and turned to mush. Something to try when my own grape vine gets seriously going in the polytunnel.

Ah, the polytunnel. Okay, my plans for carrots and salad all winter long didn’t quite get there. But the nasturtiums look great, and taste pretty good, too. So I’m leaving them in possession at the moment, and sitting in the warmth planning my polytunnel year for 2011.

Number one priority: an irrigation system. I had this romantic idea about tending each plant personally each evening. Even with the iPod at full blast that wasn’t going to happen. Especially in the rain. Horizontal, Welsh mountain rain at that. The kind that feels like hail even when it isn’t. I have quite enough of that with dog walking, thank you very much.

I’m sure I’ve got a bit of old hosepipe to weave in and out and put holes in lying around somewhere ……

No comments:

Post a Comment