But then life is amazing. I managed to control the weeds, and nature did the rest. The garden is beginning to bloom without much extra attention, and the polytunnel is getting there.
The vine has survived its first year. Hurrah! I was having severe doubts, but then it appeared and is growing strong. I’ve managed to start some salad leaves (in a slightly haphazard way, but who cares). I’m going to try just a few tomatoes this year, and leave the squashes. We have more than we can eat from the wonderful organic veggie box anyhow.
So, okay, it’s not exactly self-sufficiency, or a production line. But it’s growing slowly. And I’ve had so much pleasure from just sitting in the polytunnel on coldish days, enjoying the sun, it’s been worth it for that alone.
So now that things have quietened down a bit, I’m going to finish clearing that outside space for spinach and get a few chillies on the go.
I’ve got this dream of a mini solar fountain in the middle of the (very) mini pond in the polytunnel. Gently rushing water as I sit there admiring the grapes grow and the salad flourish.
Hello Juliet - my name is Dave and I love your posts...would love for you to read one of mine on going green and how easy it is to live this way at: http://bit.ly/pYpcuX
ReplyDeleteThanks!